[ntp:questions] Can NTP affect the time even when not running ?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Nov 24 17:24:16 UTC 2004

At 5:36 PM +0100 2004-11-24, Marchand Vincent wrote:

>  Would this mean that, for laptops with no processor frequency lock - most
>  standard use I would assume -, your recommendation would be to rely on SNTP
>  clients ?

	Not SNTP, no.  I'd rely on starting ntpd with both -g and -q
arguments, since it would at least be able to use multiple upstream
time servers and do all the standard ntpd things where it can protect
itself against false tickers, do iburst, etc..., but then quit after
setting the clock.

	This should still be better than ntpdate or using SNTP, because
the clock frequency over a 30 second period of time should be
reasonably stable.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755