[ntp:questions] Re: status of multicast

Dale Schultz dDOTschultz at nospam-sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 28 22:38:49 UTC 2004

Hi:
I was one of those people that made several inquires about multicast mode.  My
application is in a hybrid satellite network, where the multicast packets are
sent over the satellite link and received through a DVB card (sat0) in the
remote server.  When the remote server authenticates it does so with the unicast
address of the server over a point-to-point (eth0) terrestrial link.  The odd
behavior I typically see is that ALL the remote servers will attempt to
authenticate at every multicast interval.  This does not scale well with 8000
remote servers.  What I'd love to see is an initial authentication exchange and
then the remote servers shut up and listen to the multicast signal and never
authenticate again unless they've restarted or the signal has been lost for an
extended period of time.
I'd be more than will to test any new code in this environment if it can be made
to work efficiently, no authentication storms.

Thanks. Dale