[ntp:questions] Re: status of multicast

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 07:13:19 UTC 2004

In article <coe145$n9h$1 at dewey.udel.edu>, David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> use a unicast path, as that's how it can determine the broadcast delay,
> in your case probably 270 ms. I don't know why it volleys with the

As described, the roundtrip delay estimate will be badly flawed as
at least the output leg from the client is terrestial (if the whole
exchange is terrestial, the point to point measurement will disagree
by more than the step threshold, which, I suppose, might cause the
server to be rejected - even if just the one leg is terrestial, I think
the error will exceed 128ms).