[ntp:questions] Re: WinXP ntpd as service with dial-up connection

kermit cku192 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 12:43:14 UTC 2004

"dusty bin" <junkmail at mmscomms.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:e426e73c.0411290359.76abc64d at posting.google.com...
> "kermit" <cku192 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:<coeeft$t30$1 at news.mch.sbs.de>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> after getting ADSL connection I tried to finally install ntpd as service
>> on
>> my system. We currently use it in PPPoE mode i.e. connection is
>> established
>> manually. Unfortunately, ntpd seems to never attempt to contact severs
>> after
>> initial attempt has failed. It is clear with server names (as initital
>> DNS
>> resolution fails) but it also does not work with IP addresses.
>>
>> Currently using 510 group version. Anybody has an idea?
>
> I have the latest windows dev version from Terje and don't remember
> any problems running on w2k here.

I had problems with this that's why I got the one from 510 (have been using
it at work for a long time without any problems, but of course on LAN). I
will check out newer one once more. Also I had some problems with 4.2 on my
Unix, had to patch it before it finally worked.

> Although I don't often reboot while disconnected, I did do a few
> months ago.
>
> I don't use raw IPs, but put the entries in the hosts file to avoid
> the DNS problem when disconnected.  Also have the local refclock
> 127.127.0.1 (or maybe 127.127.0.0) set up fudged to around stratum 10.

that's for sure :)

> If you want me to test this out properly now, let me know.

If it won't work this time I will probably ask.

Thank you for reply

=arvi=