[ntp:questions] Re: W32Time/CoBox/Spectracom 1 second jumps

David J Taylor david-taylor at invalid.com
Mon Nov 29 17:12:53 UTC 2004

Chris Winstanley wrote:
[]
> I'm no NTP expert but I'm suspicious of:
> - the fact that the Netclock outputs the time once a second to the
> CoBox - surely the CoBox keeps time inbetween updates?
> - the fact that the precision of the Windows 2000 Server clock appears
> to be 1.0000sec - surely even a Wintel platform is better than this?

Chris,

Using the NTP port for Windows 2000 (not Win32Time) these are the results
I get:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

The top two graphs show what lightly loaded systems can achieve, and the
bottom graphs show what happens when ill behaved software causes
timekeeping problems!  You can see that 20ms accuracy is no problem for
lightly loaded systems, and even 100ms for heavily loaded interactive
systems.

I use the Windows 32 software from:  http://norloff.org/ntp/

Cheers,
David