[ntp:questions] Re: Ref clocks and polling intervals

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Tue Nov 30 23:14:14 UTC 2004

Dave,

Please help me understand.

>The burst functions conflict with some reference clock drivers which use
>it for other purposes.

First, generally speaking, I'm assuming we'd want this capability to be
a choice for each refclock, not simply done for all refclocks without
question.  Given that...

There seems to be 2 places we could implement this change.

One is the refclock driver - we'd have to check to see if FLAG_IBURST is
set in the peer structure, and if so, load the receive buffers such that
the next poll of the driver would receive a "full load".  I suspect this
is a poor choice.

The other place is in ntp_proto.c, where we already have code to
iburst the "other side".  In this case when we'd add the FLAG_IBURST
test after the appropriate code branches that test true for FLAG_REFCLOCK.