[ntp:questions] How much load is caused by running "ntpq -p"?

brad at shub-internet.org brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Oct 1 13:17:51 UTC 2004

Folks,

Just kind of idly wondering here.  Does anyone know how much load is caused
by running this command?  Could you overload a time server by running it
too often?  Could you cause a time server to start to lose time by running
it too often?

If this command does cause a heavy load on the time server, how often is
"often enough" versus "too often"?

I'm seeing some strange things on one of my machines, and I'm trying to
figure out if I'm causing my own problems by running this command too
often, or if there might be something else going on.  Thanks!