[RETRANSMIT] Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How much load is caused by running "ntpq -p"?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Oct 1 13:58:06 UTC 2004

At 9:23 AM -0400 2004-10-01, Fran Horan wrote:

>  What kind of operating system are you running on ? There are different
>  commands you can run to measure loading depending on the OS.

	I'm running MacOS X 10.3.5 on an Apple PowerBook G4 (800MHz, 1GB
of RAM, 80GB HD, with an ntpd 4.1.80-rc1 at 1.1111-r that I built myself
as opposed to the Apple-provided binary).  I'm aware of programs like
top, iostat, vmstat, etc... as well as call tracing programs like
strace, ktrace, truss, etc....

	My question has more to do with the internals of ntpd and how
much load is placed on this particular program by running "ntpq -p".

	Short of running a profiled version of the code and poking it a
few million times, I'm not sure that I'd be able to tease out how
much work is put on the daemon by this command, as opposed to the
"regular" work it has to do in trying to monitor the upstream time
servers, etc....

	I was hoping that someone on this newsgroup would have a good
enough idea of the internal workings of the daemon on this matter
that they could give me a ballpark answer off the top of their head.

--
Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>