[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdate functions successors

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Mon Oct 4 23:17:08 UTC 2004

Most everything you ask for can be done, and it is described in the
html pages.

In article <20040919124504.GX89036 at lucky.net>,
Valentin Nechayev  <netch at lucky.net> wrote:
>With promised ntpdate revoking, how is it supposed to implement following
>ntpdate applications?
>
>1. Providing synchronized time on a host without having ntpd listening
>(to exclude any possibility of being abused or exploited), typical to
>unix workstations.
>(ntpdate in crontab)

ntpd -q

>2. Always use time stepping on system startup, regardless of offset value.
>(ntpdate -b)

ntpd -g

>3. Use time stepping when local timer lags behind, and time adjusting when
>local timer outflies. (Now it may be implemented using simple shell script
>around ntpdate; second call with -b or -B.)

ntpd -x is pretty close to the -b/-B stuff.

I'm not sure how to detect when to use it though.

If nobody else sees a way, please open a bug on this.

>4. Checking working of remote server and its offset, with output suitable
>for machine parsing (in scripts) and without affecting current daemon.
>(ntpdate -uq)

Not sure how to do this either.

>All listed applications are widely used in our network and it's strongly
>interesting what we shall do when the main useful tool disappear.

ntpdate has many limitations and problems that are addressed by using
ntpd instead.

Dave, can we think of a way to say "it's OK to step forward, but always slew
backwards"?

Also, I wonder if we could use:

 tinker panic -0

to mean "just abort and report what the time difference is" (or something
similar).