[ntp:questions] NTP Time Server for LAN: Broadcasting or Not?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Oct 5 02:50:54 UTC 2004

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message news:<slrncm2ca5.nod.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>...
> On 2004-10-04, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> > At 3:16 AM -0500 2004-10-04, W. D. wrote:
> >
> >>192.168.2.255 .BCST. 16 u - 64 0 0.000 0.000 4000.00
>
> >This appears to be a local Stratum 1 time server that you have set up
> >on a nearby network (it uses RFC 1918 private networking space), but
> >which appears to be non-functional.
>
> That line of ntpq output will be visible see on your broadcast server;
> it shows the broadcast address for the sub-net you're broadcasting to.
> The stratum displays as 16 because that ntpd can't sync to its self. You
> would see a similar line on any ntpd which is configured to use its self
> as a server.

Right. we really should be dropping this packet as it makes no sense.
I don't think there is a socket option to no receive it's own
broadcast packets. You can turn it off in multicast but the code currently
doesn't do that. It does have the side effect of showing you that you
are running a broadcast server.

Danny