[ntp:questions] NTP Time Server for LAN: Broadcasting or Not?

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Tue Oct 5 06:01:59 UTC 2004

At 21:50 10/4/2004, Danny Mayer wrote:
>Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message
>news:<slrncm2ca5.nod.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>...

>> >This appears to be a local Stratum 1 time server that you have set up
>> >on a nearby network (it uses RFC 1918 private networking space), but
>> >which appears to be non-functional.
>>
>> That line of ntpq output will be visible see on your broadcast server;
>> it shows the broadcast address for the sub-net you're broadcasting to.
>> The stratum displays as 16 because that ntpd can't sync to its self. You
>> would see a similar line on any ntpd which is configured to use its self
>> as a server.
>
>Right. we really should be dropping this packet as it makes no sense.
>I don't think there is a socket option to no receive it's own
>broadcast packets. You can turn it off in multicast but the code currently
>doesn't do that. It does have the side effect of showing you that you
>are running a broadcast server.

That's kinda what I thought it was saying.  The IP address and label:
(192.168.2.255 .BCST.) were a giveaway.  To me, that's helpful info
even if the rest of it is meaningless.

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/