[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdate functions successors

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Tue Oct 5 07:25:53 UTC 2004

Dave,

I'm suggesting we leave the current behavior of "tinker step 0" alone,
and consider using "tinker step -0" to mean "abort with a message saying
what the time step would be".

This would use all of the algorithms to select the best time from the
set of servers.

And I'm not saying this is a good idea - I think we can probably do better.

Likewise, I'm wondering if we should let people configure ntp so that it
will make forward steps, but only backwards slews.  But this can be difficult
and might be better served by support from the kernel, which should probably
monotonically increase the time for each "what time is it" call until time
"catches up" in this case.  Again, not sure if this is a good idea, but
there are cases that apparently need it.  Apparently...