[ntp:questions] NTP and Slow Computer Clock

Peter Waskowic waskowic at sedsystems.ca
Tue Oct 5 18:52:05 UTC 2004

I've got a Linux server computer that has a slow clock.  Basically, the
motherboard design causes the computer to lose interrupts.  This means
that the system clock loses some "ticks" and the clock is always
somewhat behind depending on how many interrupts are lost.  I am unable
to upgrade the computer because I have 20 of them that were purchased
before this "feature" was discovered.

I've got NTP running on the machine, which helps maintain the time.
Every 30 to 40 minutes, I get a message in /var/log/messages that is of
the form "ntpd: time reset 1.209444 s".

However, I'd like to keep time a bit more accurately.  My question is:
Can I configure ntp so that it adjusts the clock more frequently than
every 30 or 40 minutes?

I have to live with the missed interrupts, but I'd prefer if NTP could
adjust the time by smaller amounts more frequently.  I'd appreciate if
anybody could point me to tuning parameters that would reduce my problem.

Peter

--
Peter Waskowic, P.Eng., M.Sc.

Phone:  306-933-1580