[ntp:questions] Re: NTP and Slow Computer Clock

Darren Dunham ddunham at redwood.taos.com
Tue Oct 5 20:01:03 UTC 2004

Peter Waskowic <waskowic at sedsystems.ca> wrote:
> I've got NTP running on the machine, which helps maintain the time.
> Every 30 to 40 minutes, I get a message in /var/log/messages that is of
> the form "ntpd: time reset 1.209444 s".

Have you had it running for a few days?  If so, do you have a drift
file?  What's the contents now.

> However, I'd like to keep time a bit more accurately.  My question is:
> Can I configure ntp so that it adjusts the clock more frequently than
> every 30 or 40 minutes?

It does.  It attempts to maintain the clock constantly.  However, if the
clock is too far out, it is unable to do so, and the clock has to be
'stepped' instead.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com