[ntp:questions] Re: NTP vanished!

W. D. NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com
Tue Oct 5 23:11:34 UTC 2004

ajf wrote:

> Yes,
>
> Your clock is too far out when ntp starts. Try using ntpdate <ntp_server)
> before starting ntpd.
>
> "W. D." <NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com> wrote in message
> news:4162F5B3.3336 at US-Webmasters.com...
> > Was trying to run 'ntpq -p' and got:
> >
> >     ntpq: read: Connection refused
> >
> > Checked 'top' and 'ps aux'-- not there.  Checked logs--
> > nothing showing.  Rebooted.  Worked for a while, then
> > vanished again.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Thanks AJF.  That was it.  Somehow in all the futzing around
that computer's clock was way out of wack.  It was odd
because there weren't any exit messages in the logs that
I could find.  It just wouldn't synch up and then died
quietly.

I put ntpdate and associated entries in rc.conf, and ntpd
then synchronized.

However, now it is having problems sending out the NTP
broadcast.  In 'ntp.log' there are entries similar to
the following every 64 seconds:

5 Oct 17:52:17 ntpd[87]: sendto(192.168.2.255): Permission denied

processor="i386"
system="FreeBSD/4.9-RELEASE"
version="ntpd 4.2.0a at 1.1234-o Tue Oct  5 19:04:59 GMT 2004 (1)"

http://ftp6.us.freebsd.org/pub/ntp/ntp4/ntp-dev-4.2.0a-20041002.tar.gz
2004 Oct 2 11:14:00 2,447,703 bytes

Before compiling, I substituted the ifiter_ioctl.c file that
has the broadcastclient fix:
http://tinyurl.com/72c69
http://tinyurl.com/66see
http://tinyurl.com/7yput

Broadcast was working last night, so I suspect that it
might have something to do with the newer version.
Perhaps I should rename the ntpd and associated programs
and go back to the older versions.

Any other ideas?

--
Start Here to Find It Fast!™ ->