[ntp:questions] Re: NTP and Slow Computer Clock

frankb at sonic.net frankb at sonic.net
Wed Oct 6 01:07:09 UTC 2004

Peter Waskowic <waskowic at sedsystems.ca> wrote:
} I've got a Linux server computer that has a slow clock.  Basically, the
} motherboard design causes the computer to lose interrupts.  This means
} that the system clock loses some "ticks" and the clock is always
} somewhat behind depending on how many interrupts are lost.  I am unable
} to upgrade the computer because I have 20 of them that were purchased
} before this "feature" was discovered.
}
} I've got NTP running on the machine, which helps maintain the time.
} Every 30 to 40 minutes, I get a message in /var/log/messages that is of
} the form "ntpd: time reset 1.209444 s".
}
} However, I'd like to keep time a bit more accurately.  My question is:
} Can I configure ntp so that it adjusts the clock more frequently than
} every 30 or 40 minutes?

Get and install adjtimex.  It can deal with much more drift than ntp.
turn of ntp, configure adjtimex, turn ntp back on.

   Frank Ball               frankb at sonic.net