[ntp:questions] Re: NTP vanished!

W. D. NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com
Wed Oct 6 03:04:08 UTC 2004

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> This sounds like your clock is way too off when ntpd starts and when
> ntpd finally agrees that this is the case, it will syslog a message and die.

Thanks for your reply, Harlan.

> I recommend you use "ntpd -g" (NOT ntpdate)

Why?

>and use "iburst" on your server

I read the link, but it says that it is 'unfriendly' to
use this when polling other people's servers.

> and peer lines.

No peer lines at present.  Although I might in the
future.  If a peer gets 'insane' will it stop
sending out broadcast signals?  How does it know
that it's 'insane'?

Any ideas about the 'sendto Permission denied' stuff?

5 Oct 17:52:17 ntpd[87]: sendto(192.168.2.255): Permission denied

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html

--
Start Here to Find It Fast!™ ->
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/