[ntp:questions] Re: NTP vanished!

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 04:43:13 UTC 2004

W. D. wrote:

>Harlan Stenn wrote:
>

>>This sounds like your clock is way too off when ntpd starts and when
>>ntpd finally agrees that this is the case, it will syslog a message and die.
>>

>Thanks for your reply, Harlan.
>

>>I recommend you use "ntpd -g" (NOT ntpdate)
>>

>Why?
>

>>and use "iburst" on your server
>>

>I read the link, but it says that it is 'unfriendly' to
>use this when polling other people's servers.

I think you may have misread this.  The burst qualifier is
unfriendly!!!   The iburst qualifier is ok for general use.  It is a
legitimate way to initialize an association quickly.

Burst  causes eight request packets to be sent at every poll interval
which places eight times the normal load on the server.  Since most
public servers are already heavily loaded, burst is definitely an
unfriendly thing to do.  Burst was a special purpose hack that was never
intended for general use.