[ntp:questions] Re: NTP vanished!

W. D. NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com
Wed Oct 6 06:33:15 UTC 2004

At 22:16 10/5/2004, Harlan Stenn, wrote:
>> > I recommend you use "ntpd -g" (NOT ntpdate)
>
>> Why?
>
>ntpdate is broken and deprecated.

OK, but how?  I've looked at all the docs I can find.

Does "ntpd -g" go in rc.conf?

Does it take the place of:

ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpdate"
ntpdate_flags="-bs server1.domain1.com server2.domain2.com
server3.domain3.com"

Or, does the '-g' get added into:
xntpd_flags="-A -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -l
/var/log/ntpd.log"

to become:
xntpd_flags="-A -g -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -l
/var/log/ntpd.log"

Obviously, I'd like to set the clock with brute force
on boot up just in case it's off by quite a bit.  Then
I would like it to quickly come into synch with the
time servers that I am polling, and finally maintain
accurate time on a continual basis.

I would certainly like to keep up to standards, but
ntpdate on boot up seems to be working OK.  What is
the proper way to replace it and maintain my other
objectives?

>> >and use "iburst" on your server

Great!  Will do.  Has been taking quite a while
to synch up.  How long does it usually take
to synch up using iburst?  My broadcast signals
don't go out until the server is synched.

>> I read the link, but it says that it is 'unfriendly' to
>> use this when polling other people's servers.
>
>That is "burst", not "iburst".
>

>> If a peer gets 'insane' will it stop
>> sending out broadcast signals?  How does it know
>> that it's 'insane'?
>
>I'm not sure.  Generally, a server will serve time.  It is up to the "other"
>machines to believe it or not.
>
>> Any ideas about the 'sendto Permission denied' stuff?
>
>> 5 Oct 17:52:17 ntpd[87]: sendto(192.168.2.255): Permission denied
>
>Ask on the group - I think Danny is working on broadcast problems.

I recompiled the older version with the broadcastclient fix.  The
'sendto Permission denied' error went away.

Older version:
http://ftp6.us.freebsd.org/pub/ntp/ntp4/ntp-4.2.0.tar.gz
(2003 Oct 15 00:17:54 2,514,502 bytes)

Fix for broadcastclient:
http://tinyurl.com/72c69
http://tinyurl.com/66see
http://tinyurl.com/7yput
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/Temp/ifiter_ioctl.c.txt

>> > This is discussed at:
>> >
>> >  https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP4
>
>> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html
>
>I recommend you read each and knowing that *you* (and anybody else) can
>improve/rewrite the former, decide which one you like better.

I am writing a 'How To' on how to install NTP on FreeBSD.  It will
be primarily a step-by-step guide, aimed at intermediate users,
who want to get a server up and running quickly.

A link to it will be at the bottom of:
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/

Thanks for your help, Harlan!

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ ->