[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd as broadcastclient - not working?

W. D. NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com
Wed Oct 6 21:19:11 UTC 2004

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> On 2004-10-06, W. D. <NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com> wrote:
>
> > At 01:52 8/29/2004, Harlan Stenn, wrote:
> >
> >>It's pretty easy to set up authentication.
> >
> > Do you know of a short, step-by-step, HowTo for this?
>
> http://ntp.isc.org/Support/ConfiguringAutokey

Hey Steve,

Thanks a bunch for this link.  I am looking
at a bunch of stuff up one directory:
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/

However, I am lost concerning configuring
authentication for 'broadcastclient'.

For each client, the ntp.conf only consists
of:

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
broadcastclient

On the 'ConfiguringAutokey' page, I don't
see any reference to 'broadcastclient' and
there are lots changes to lines that don't
exist in my ntp.conf files.

How do my clients make use of authentication?

Also, is authentication really necessary on
a local area network (LAN) that is hidden
beyond a firewall, and users can be trusted?

Another complication is that I have Windows
computers that run K9.
(http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/k9.htm)
As far as I know, K9 doesn't know how to
authenticate.  Would it still be able
to set time properly if broadcast signals
are being sent from an 'authenticated'
NTP server?

Thanks for your help!

> And feel free to stop by #ntp on irc.freenode.net if you have questions.

Thanks for the offer!  Unfortunately, I don't have
IRC setup.  Also, with the newsgroups, others can
benefit from reading these archives.

--
Start Here to Find It Fast!™ ->
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/