[ntp:questions] Re: NTP vanished!

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Oct 7 04:47:48 UTC 2004

"W. D." <NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com> wrote in message news:<41632A26.23ED at US-Webmasters.com>...
> However, now it is having problems sending out the NTP
> broadcast.  In 'ntp.log' there are entries similar to
> the following every 64 seconds:
>
> 5 Oct 17:52:17 ntpd[87]: sendto(192.168.2.255): Permission denied

This is a bug. Please file a bug report. Looking at the code
the socket is not enabled for broadcast and on some platforms
you will get this error when it tries to send a packet to the
broadcast address.

>[...]
> Broadcast was working last night, so I suspect that it
> might have something to do with the newer version.
> Perhaps I should rename the ntpd and associated programs
> and go back to the older versions.
>
> Any other ideas?

I can't imagine that it ever worked on some platforms since
the code to enable the socket option has never been implemented.

Danny