[ntp:questions] Re: dramatic increase in ntp traffic?

Brian Utterback Brian.Utterback at Sun.removeme.COM
Thu Oct 7 19:40:48 UTC 2004

Nelson Minar wrote:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <grazdan at fortytwo.ch> writes:
>
>>at least two servers in the pool.ntp.org have seen a dramatic increase
>>in ntp traffic suddenly.
>

> Debian Linux now points to pool.ntp.org by default in its NTP
> configuration. I think this change went in a couple of months ago.
> It's not yet in the stable release, but it is in 'testing' which a lot
> of people run. But maybe some major site just upgraded a bunch of
> their Debian boxes?
>
> Or maybe it's something totally different! Did Netgear just release a
> new router? :-)

Well, your graphs show an increase in traffic all right. But they don't
do anything to offer an explaination. Perhaps you could capture an hours
worth of packets to analyze. Maybe you could post a link to the file when
you get it?

--
blu

Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts absolutely.