[ntp:questions] Re: Using a Rubidium clock with NTP

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Oct 8 02:50:24 UTC 2004

David,

I have an old Rubidium oscillator, too. The way to use it is find a
battered old frequency counter with gated output and set it to count
down to 1 PPS. Connect the gate via the PPSAPI and the atom driver, but
do not used the kernel. Use the fudge1 parameter to adjust the phase.
Carefully.

My Rubidium has a voltage input that can change the frequency slightly.
Put a pot on that and use stereo headphones, one connected to a WWV
reciever and the other across the gate. Adjust the pot to match the
1-pps pip on WWV to the click from the gate. Pretend you are a human
feedback loop, because this will be very tricky.

Dave