[ntp:questions] Re: dramatic increase in ntp traffic?

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Fri Oct 8 11:42:52 UTC 2004

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <grazdan at fortytwo.ch> wrote in message news:<1323543.T1eblusHJT at altfrangg.fortytwo.ch>...
> Since I did not change anything in the server set up of the project, I
> think it must be some external event - but what? Traffic seems to come
> in 10 minutes interwalls, preciley 10, 20, ... minutes after the hour,
> one pool.ntp.org member reports.

It's a boneheaded NTP client of some sort, probably embedded in a
DSL or cable modem router.

Boneheaded because all of the units synchronize their requests to be
modulus ten minutes past the hour, a practice unrecommended forever.

My mailing-list submissions to timekeepers about this issue seem to
simply be vanishing.

Tim.