[ntp:questions] Re: dramatic increase in ntp traffic?

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Mon Oct 11 09:27:20 UTC 2004

David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> Koos van den Hout wrote:

>> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <grazdan at fortytwo.ch> wrote:
>> ntp.cs.uu.nl (also in pool.ntp.org) sees a regular increase, we now have
>> over 1100 active clients. The 10 minute spikes seem to be there. Since
>> Wednesday this week there is a sudden increase in 'old version' ntp packets
>> (tcpdump even showed me NTPv1 packets).
>>
>> 1100 active clients -> 13 packets per second. Amazing ;)
>
> 13 packets per second? All of our servers here are at least several
> times that and loafing as it is.

I know, but that's not my point. My point is that 1100 clients can sync
themselves up to millisecond level accuracy with such a relative low amount
of traffic. And the top 10 ntphogs account for about half of the traffic.

                                                 Koos

Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos at cs.uu.nl
+31-30-2534104              PGP keyid 0x27513781
http://idefix.net/~koos/            Use PGP when possible!
Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites http://camp-wireless.org/