[ntp:questions] Re: Bulletin C 28 -- NO positive leap second at the end of December 2004

Urs Thuermann urs at isnogud.escape.de
Tue Oct 12 07:53:00 UTC 2004

Marc Brett <marc at fordson.demon.co.uk> writes:

>  NO positive leap second will be introduced at the end of December 2004.
>  The difference between UTC and the International Atomic Time TAI is :
>
>      from 1999 January 1, 0h UTC, until further notice : UTC-TAI = -32 s

What is the reason for not having a leap second for so long?  From
1972 to 1999 we had a leap second roughly every 1.25 years, with
intervalls slightly increasing.  The longest period before January
1999 without a leap second was 2.5 years.  Now we have 6 years without
a leap second.  Has the earth stopped slowing down its rotation?

urs