[ntp:questions] Re: Windows - Seven Days Later

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Oct 13 00:57:18 UTC 2004

david at djwhome.demon.co.uk (David Woolley) wrote in message news:<T1097272854 at djwhome.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <5Ih9d.8501$Sl2.3253 at trnddc09>,
> Jerry Baker <jerry at novalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I have made several postings about how NTP is having a real problem
> > remaining stable. I now have a little more than a weeks worth of data
>
> I strongly suspect your problem is the same as the problem mentioned
> in this article:
>
> http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind0410&L=ntbugtraq&F=P
> &S=&P=3654
>
> Note that this has no mention of any time synchronization software,
> although it does have both Windows NT family and SETI at Home in common
> with you.  I doubt that S at H is relevant except as an almost entirely
> CPU bound, low priority, process.  That leaves Windows!

Actually no. I have documented proof that two unrelated pieces of software,
in my case BIND 9.2.2 and Windows Media Player, interact with
each other in unexpected ways.  So don't dismiss S at H so easily though
it's not the only thing that can cause problems. For example netsvs
network services grabs upwards of 1200 handles when it's started on
Windows XP. W2K is much more moderate.

Danny