[ntp:questions] Re: Windows - Seven Days Later

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 20:17:07 UTC 2004

In article <FE9bd.5097$y77.1503 at trnddc05>,
Jerry Baker <jerry at novalid.invalid> wrote:

> hostile towards Windows in general, and completely unwilling to even
> entertain the notion of exploring possible work-arounds for this issue.
> Most responses are something like, "uh, well, I don't have Windows but I
> think it works like this."

It only exists for NT at all because two or three NT users spent their own
time porting it.  If you can't get them interested in your problems, you
are not going to get anything done.  However I believe, doing things is
likely to require access to Windows source code in order to change some
quite low level details of how Windows works, that level of information
won't be available in the public documentation.  As I noted, it
is almost certainly keeping much better time than you can actually read
from an normal application program.

> I hope your mechanic never says, "well, I'm not going to fix your car,
> but if you think something is wrong there's all the parts."

If I had a car, I would have paid several hundred dollars towards
warranty costs and possibly also paid the mechanic.  How much have you
paid for ntpd and the support you get here?

This is basically always the situation with "free" software distributed
as source (BSD don't accept that ntpd is open source, because they say
licence appears not to allow distribution on paid for CDs, which is
why openntp exists, and why I didn't say open source).  Any sensible
free software licence will always disclaim all warranties (commercial
software suppliers generally also try this, of course).

To offset the lack of warranty in the short term, you have the source in
the long term, whereas, with a commercial product, you are likely to be
forced to buy the next version, after three years or within six months
of the company being taken over.