[ntp:questions] Re: Bulletin C 28 -- NO positive leap second at the end of December 2004

Mxsmanic mxsmanic at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 14 03:58:38 UTC 2004

Terje Mathisen writes:

> Even worse, afaik it must have speeded up, otherwise it would have kept
> on dropping seconds at approximately the old rate.

It may have done so.  Shifting mass within the planet and other factors
can cause the rotational speed to increase as well as decrease.  Over
the very long term it will gradually slow down, since the majority of
forces acting on the planet oppose and gradually consume its rotational
momentum, but it can speed up over shorter periods.