[ntp:questions] Re: Bulletin C 28 -- NO positive leap second at the end of December 2004

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid
Thu Oct 14 07:24:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:32:59 +0200 in comp.protocols.time.ntp, Terje
Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote:

>Urs Thuermann wrote:
>
>> Marc Brett <marc at fordson.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>

>>> NO positive leap second will be introduced at the end of December 2004.
>>> The difference between UTC and the International Atomic Time TAI is :
>>>
>>>     from 1999 January 1, 0h UTC, until further notice : UTC-TAI = -32 s
>>

>> What is the reason for not having a leap second for so long?  From
>> 1972 to 1999 we had a leap second roughly every 1.25 years, with
>> intervalls slightly increasing.  The longest period before January
>> 1999 without a leap second was 2.5 years.  Now we have 6 years without
>> a leap second.  Has the earth stopped slowing down its rotation?
>
>Even worse, afaik it must have speeded up, otherwise it would have kept
>on dropping seconds at approximately the old rate.

IIRC there's a graph of a somewhat wobbly somewhat U shaped curve on
the IERS web site predicting a more or less stable period at the same
rate and then a reversal, so we have negative leap seconds to look
forward to!

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply