[ntp:questions] Re: Windows - Seven Days Later

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Oct 14 07:44:10 UTC 2004

Jerry Baker wrote:

> David Woolley wrote:
>
>> You seem to be have been taking a very hostile attitude to ntpd all
>> along,
>> but you have been continually changing the goalposts and dribbling in
>> critical pieces of information.  What, for example, happened to your
>> original 2.6s step problem?
>

> I don't think it's hostile. NTP, after all, is a software package and I
> don't think software can experience "hostility." The reason I suspect
> NTP is because most of the people involved with NTP seem to be pretty
> hostile towards Windows in general, and completely unwilling to even
> entertain the notion of exploring possible work-arounds for this issue.
> Most responses are something like, "uh, well, I don't have Windows but I
> think it works like this."

Jerry, that's simply not true:

Windows is a primary supported platform for the NTPD source code, even
though maintaining that requires a significant amount of work by
volunteers (these days mostly Danny Mayer afaik. Thanks Danny!).

There is a ton of code in the win32 specific ntpd directories to work
around the various intrinsic problems with the way Microsoft mishandles
time, and it only got added because some people liked the challenge of
seeing how well we could do even on a broken platform. (I wrote one of
those workarounds, but not the one that ended up in the official
distribution code.)

It is perfectly understandable that most NTP hackers would much prefer
to not have to spend time on such workarounds, but as I stated, some do,
and we're currently seeing NTP times on Win* that's an order of
magnitude better than what the OS is intrinsically capable of, which is
quite an achievement IMHO.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>