[ntp:questions] Re: Why ntpd is losing out to openntp at BSD (was: Windows - Seven Days Later)

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Thu Oct 14 21:12:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:55:47 +0100
david at djwhome.demon.co.uk (David Woolley) wrote:

:The non-legal, non-security, argument that they use is that most people
:don't need better than about half a second accuracy (even if the starter
:of this thread is complaining about 10ms errors).  If you add on the
:demands for sub-second initial time setting, step free response to major
:input steps, and cooperating isolated islands (which account for most
:of the current FAQs), the official ntpd is at risk of losing out to
:poorer substitutes.

I use OpenNTPD on my time server, and I am off by 0.027525 seconds at this
time.  Except for the initial sync, I am never off by more than 0.05
seconds.

--
You never know how many friends you have until you rent a house on the
beach.