[ntp:questions] Re: Why ntpd is losing out to openntp at BSD

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Oct 14 23:43:43 UTC 2004

Peter,

Sure, any machine with any SNTP client I have found can make a few tens
of milliseconds, as long as the computer clock oscillator is within 100
PPM or so and the network is well behaved and the NTPv4 extensions are
not required. I certainly would not want a SNTP client like your to
become a server and export 50-ms offsets to a population of dependent
clients. If OpenNTP is well written, documented and tested, I would very
much like to replace the current SNTP client presently in the NTPv4
distribution with it. Maybe the ISC guys can make that happen.

Dave