[ntp:questions] Re: Windows - Seven Days Later

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Oct 15 01:13:10 UTC 2004

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<t-KdnfR2kbxuRvDcRVn-vQ at comcast.com>...

> The difference is that your mechanic will hand you a big bill for fixing
> whatever is wrong!  I believe that ntp is a volunteer effort on the part
> of all concerned.  I think most of the developers use some version of
> Unix  and don't use Windows unless forced to by the requirements of
> their regular jobs.

In this case, oddly enough, this happens to be untrue. I do almost all
of the network programming work for NTP these days and my main
platform IS Windows. Most of the work right now is on Unix, but I do
make sure things keep working on Windows. This is not, of course, the
normal situation with open-source Internet software.

Right now I've been working on extracting the NT Service code
from ntpd.c and putting it into it's own file. The code is pretty
tangled there and it's hard to tell what it's doing. I also put together
a new installer to replace the instsrv stuff. This one makes Windows
NTPD services much more secure. It's not ready yet, though Terje has
seen it. I'm also making code changes to allow builds using VS.NET.

Danny