[ntp:questions] Re: Why ntpd is losing out to openntp at BSD

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Oct 15 03:14:26 UTC 2004

Harlan,

I thought my position was well known. The SNTP client now in the
distribution is poorly written, likely to be misused (server) and just
not up to par with the ntpd code and maintenance mission. A good,
compliant SNTP client is not hard to write at all, but discipline is
necessary to avoid feature bloat. The feature most likely to be prized
would be a MIB and SNMP client.

Dave