[ntp:questions] Re: Windows - Seven Days Later

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Oct 15 04:50:30 UTC 2004

Jerry Baker <jerry at novalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<cqBbd.72$uk2.61 at trnddc05>...
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
> > It is perfectly understandable that most NTP hackers would much prefer
> > to not have to spend time on such workarounds, but as I stated, some do,
> > and we're currently seeing NTP times on Win* that's an order of
> > magnitude better than what the OS is intrinsically capable of, which is
> > quite an achievement IMHO.
> >
> > Terje
> >

> It is not my intent to discount the work of others. I was merely
> pointing out that some people rely on others with more expertise to do
> things. Learning the intracacies of NTP's various Windows hacks and
> everything else is a tremendous waste of resources when there are
> already people out there that know it. If they aren't interested in
> fixing it, fine. That doesn't mean I shouldn't ask, nor does it make it
> unreasonable to think that someone would want to investigate a problem
> with their own creation. I sincerely apologize for assuming that someone
> familiar with NTP's Windows code would be interested in tracking down a
> blatant issue on the platform, especially with someone willing to do
> almost all of the footwork. I would have much rathered to track it down
> to Windows losing interrupts during log in events rather than just
> assume that the cause is brokenness of Windows. To immediately say the
> cause of this specific issue is Windows assumes that it has already been
> investigated and resolved, and from what I see here that is not the case.

Jerry, tracking down something like this is more work than I think you
realise and since it's not NTP that's causing the problem it doesn't get
a lot of my attention right now. If you are willing to do the legwork I'd
be happy to take the feedback and work it into the NTP Windows-specific
code which I am familiar with.

Danny