[ntp:questions] Re: Windows - Seven Days Later

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Fri Oct 15 07:51:25 UTC 2004

Jerry Baker wrote:

> james edwards wrote:
>
>>> To immediately say the
>>> cause of this specific issue is Windows assumes that it has already been
>>> investigated and resolved, and from what I see here that is not the
>>> case.
>>
>> Point out to me ***any*** stratum 1 or 2 server that is windows. I am
>> talking about
>> servers who are primary time sources for syncing others, not some
>> funky box
>> on DSL.
>
> There aren't any because NTP does not operate properly on Windows.
> Whether this is a situation that is caused by Microsoft or NTP is
> irrelevant - it still doesn't work right. I want to figure out if there
> is any way to make NTP work better on Windows without just dismissing it
> altogether.

As several people have told you, there isn't any such way.

This is because the only way to fix the Windows system clock is to start
by fixing the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which is underneath the
actual Windows OS code, and then replace the 'GetSystemTimeAsFileTime()'
os call with one that will do proper interpolation between each timer tick.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>