[ntp:questions] Re: Why ntpd is losing out to openntp at OpenBSD (was: Windows - Seven Days Later)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 15 20:54:40 UTC 2004

At 9:55 PM +0000 2004-10-14, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>  1) SNTP is sufficient for most end systems' requirements.

	Properly implemented, that might be true.  IMO, OpenNTPd is not a
proper implementation of SNTP.  If you want that, consider msntp
instead.

>  2) The security posture of UDel's code base makes many people
>  uncomfortable.

	In what way?  The fact that we actually support authentication?

>  2a) UDel's code base is very large and results in great deal of
>  repo churn every time a new version is imported.

	We're trying to incorporate improvements from a wide variety of
sources to a wide variety of places in the codebase, and to do so as
quickly as we reasonably can in a volunteer project.  If you would
prefer that we do less, we can fire most of the volunteers and make
sure that there are relatively few code changes that get made.

>  3) Deprecation of ntpdate has angered many users.

	This is little more than an education problem.  We never should
have allowed ntpdate to be modified in all the multitudinous ways it
was, and we should have incorporated the necessary features into ntpd
instead.  Almost all the features required are now incorporated into
ntpd, and if people continue to gripe you could set up a hard link
for the program name "ntpdate".

>  4) Difficulty of keeping manual pages up-to-date with changes in UDel
>  documentation.

	We're working on that.  Now that the public support services have
been moved to ISC, that may be easier to keep in sync.

>  That said, there seems to be a consensus that openntpd is
>  insufficiently mature to take over at this time.  You are invited to
>  look at the FreeBSD mailing-list archives for a more detailed
>  discussion.

	I've been on the FreeBSD mailing lists for several years.  I have
yet to see a single extensive discussion of NTP or ntpd on those
lists.  If I've missed some extensive discussion of NTP or ntpd,
please let me know which lists those have been on.

	If you want to seriously consider OpenNTPd, then I would
encourage you to look at
<http://bradknowles.typepad.com/considered_harmful/2004/09/openntpd.html>
and make sure that you have answered in your own mind how you're
going to deal with all these problems.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755