[ntp:questions] Re: Freeware for NTP time synchronization under Windows?

ArjanDotOrg infoNO at SPAMarjan.org
Mon Oct 18 06:51:23 UTC 2004

Chaos Master <spammers.fuck at spam.com.INVALID> wrote in
news:MPG.1bdd1a06cc169f4b9896df at news.individual.net:

> Hello people.
>
> I am looking for a freeware Windows program to synchronize PC' clock
> over the Internet, using the NTP (Network Time Protocol) protocol
>
> Q: Do you know of any good program for time synchronization using the
> NTP protocol? I'd like to synchronize time, say, once I day.
>
> []s

Neutron

Overview :

Neutron is a very simple and small time synchronizing program that
retrieves the accurate time from one of several specialized time servers
on the Internet. Once the network time has been retrieved the program can
set your computer's clock to match it. Options in the program enable you
to automatically obtain the time from the time server and set your clock
appropriately at program startup. It is also possible to have the program
automatically exit after the time has been set and so is ideal for
placing a shortcut in your Startup folder to sync your clock when your
computer is started. Neutron uses the standard Time protocol (TCP or UDP
port 37). See RFC 868 for more details. The time retrieved from the
network time server is given as the number of seconds since midnight on
January 1st 1900. Since the protocol only allows accuracy down to the
second you may not get the most accurate time possible but it is usually
good enough to always be within about half a second of "true" time.
Network latency is accommodated in the calculations involved in setting
your computer clock. Clicking the setup button ">>" shows you the program
options. Clicking the same button will hide the options. The setup
options allows you to choose the time server that is used by selecting
from a preset list in the dropdown list. You may prefer to use one that
is located nearer your computer for faster responses. Choose TCP or UDP
for the Time protocol to be used. UDP is recommended because of the lower
network communications overhead. Select whether you want the program to
automatically obtain and synchronize to the network time when you start
the program by clicking in the "Auto sync at program startup" checkbox.
Select whether you want the program to exit after it has synced your
clock time by clicking in the "Exit after time has been synced" checkbox.
If you have this option set, the next time you start the program you can
prevent the program from exiting by de-selecting this same checkbox.
Homepage: http://keir.net/neutron.html

For more system maintenance tools, check out: http://www.arjan.org/#
1.2.80

Kind regards,

--
Arjan

E-mail: infoNO at SPAMarjan.org (remove NOSPAM)
Homepage: Arjan.org's Absolute Freeware Links (http://www.arjan.org)