[ntp:questions] Re: Freeware for NTP time synchronization under Windows?

Craig Johnston craig_dot_e_dot_johnston at boeing_dot_c0m
Tue Oct 19 16:31:14 UTC 2004

Chaos Master wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> I am looking for a freeware Windows program to synchronize PC' clock over the
> Internet, using the NTP (Network Time Protocol) protocol
>
> Q: Do you know of any good program for time synchronization using the NTP
> protocol? I'd like to synchronize time, say, once I day.
>
> []s

Another vote for Dimension4, if all you want is to jam the time every so
often (ntpd if you want to maintain good time always).  However, if you
are running Windows XP (professional?), it already includes an SNTP
client that can be configured to poll your server of choice (default =
time.windows.com) at an interval of your choice.

If you double-click on the clock in the task bar, a dialog will appear
that contains a tab titled "Internet Time".  Here you can select the
server you want, or highlight the name and change it to one you want.

By default, the time server will be polled once a week, however you can
change this in the registry with the following key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
(SpecialPollInterval)

The decimal value is in seconds, and the default is 604800 (one week). I
have mine set to 86400 (24 hours).

There is also a program to manage this for you at this URL;

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_inet_time.htm

Craig