[ntp:questions] Re: NTP stepping issue

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Oct 20 13:31:13 UTC 2004

At 8:05 AM -0500 2004-10-20, Robert Rati wrote:

>  restrict default ignore
>  restrict 127.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 notrust
>  server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
>  fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>  tinker panic 0
>  restrict <server1> noquery
>  server <server1> maxpoll 12 version 3 prefer
>  restrict <server2> noquery
>  server <server2> maxpoll 12 version 3
>
>  It shouldn't matter that I've had to disable the driftfile, right?.

	Using two upstream time servers is the worst possible
configuration.  See
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers>.

	Use either just one upstream (and be resigned to live with
whatever problems occur when you lose contact with it) or use at
least five upstreams (to protect yourself against one falseticker).
But don't use two upstream time servers.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755