[ntp:questions] Newbie question - ntpd not answering requests

Laura GeekGerl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 20:45:05 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm running NTP 4.2.0-r2 from ntp.org on a Gentoo linux box. My
ntp.conf file is as follows:

----------------------------------

server pool.ntp.org

driftfile       /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict pool.ntp.org nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap

My server is syncing time with the pool.ntp.org server, but it won't
answer ntp requests from my internal 10.0.0.0/8 network. My ntp server
is directly connected to the 10.0.0.0/8 network, and there is no
firewall in between. When I run ntpd in debug mode, I show the ntp
requests being received but the server does not respond to them. Any
ideas? Am I missing something in my configuration file?

Thanks so much!

-Laura