[ntp:questions] Re: Newbie question - ntpd not answering requests

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Oct 21 00:14:03 UTC 2004

At 9:55 PM +0000 2004-10-20, Steve Kostecke wrote:

>  # Remote time servers (use 4 or more)
>  server pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server pool.ntp.org iburst

	Not all caching resolvers will handle round-robin properly.  Even
if the OP's own machine does this correctly, they may be using an
upstream caching resolver from their provider.

	This is why Adrian introduced the [012].pool.ntp.org records, and
why there are also regional pool.ntp.org zones (e.g.,
europe.pool.ntp.org, etc...).

	Until we can guarantee that this problem is fixed within ntpd, I
think we should not recommend that people depend on round-robin
behaviour within their caching resolver.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755