[ntp:questions] Re: Win 98 client that queries time-server ONLY during start-up?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid
Thu Oct 21 18:15:10 UTC 2004

On 20 Oct 2004 17:45:29 -0700 in comp.protocols.time.ntp,
sm5w2 at hotmail.com (Joe) wrote:

>Is there a time-sync client that can be put in the Windows (98) starup
>folder so that it performs a time-query ONLY when Windows is started?
>(ie a client that is not resident in the system tray or that otherwise
>performs queries on a timed or scheduled basis) ?

I've looked at Tardis (by H.C.Mingham-Smith)
http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/tardis.htm
used Dimension 4 (by Thinking Man)
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm
and now use NTPtime (by Tom Horsley)
http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/ntptime.html
mainly because it supports a list of alternate servers it tries in
sequence if your first choice is not available.

These programs can be set up either to set the time once and exit, or
sleep and repeat every hour or day, in which case you have the option
of having them show an icon with context menu in the system tray. My
system syncs hourly to keep corrections below a second; this will vary
depending on each system's clock hardware and the work being done on
the system.

Pick local stratum 2 server names from the NTP wiki list
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers (best to
only use Stratum 2 Open Access servers see
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/RulesOfEngagement), pinged and
tracerouted them at different times (Windows command line programs are
ping and tracert), put the most consistently fast at the top of the
list, the others below; then added a hierarchy of NTP pool servers
from http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers at the end
(ca.pool.ntp.org, north-america.pool.ntp.org, pool.ntp.org) in case
the local servers get taken out by telco or power problems.

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply