[ntp:questions] Refid?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 19:52:24 UTC 2004

I've seen some refids in the output of nptq -p that I don't understand.
I can't find any documentation that mentions any of the refids.

.GPS., .WWV., .CDMA. are all clear enough but what are:

.PSC. and .RSTR.

I actually found references to .RSTR. in the code but the accompanying
comments mentioned both "restricted" and "restrained", neither of which
are mentioned in the documentation.

Two public servers that used to work are now displaying ".RSTR." as
refids.  Are they trying to tell me something?  One used to be a pretty
good server until something happened to it a couple of weeks ago and it
started using a server several thousand miles away.  The other never
kept very good time and I won't miss it much.