[ntp:questions] Re: Synchronization with mobile devices and different time zones

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Fri Oct 22 10:50:36 UTC 2004

Sergio wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> does anyone have any experience at using NTP to synchronize the clock
> of computers in different countries (time zones)?

I am in the UK - I sync my clocks to servers in the UK and in Europe (a
different time zone).  As all NTP works in UTC, there are no time zone
issues.  The presentation of time to the user is controlled by the
operating system's regional settings.

> How about when some of the computers to synchronize is a portable
> computer with a wireless (and intermittent) connection? Is it possible
> to use NTP then or some similar protocol to keep the clocks
> synchronized?

My portable PC worked fine with NTP onto a UK server while I was in the
Netherlands using a wireless connection.  Of course, I could not trust the
time to remain stable on that PC while it was not connected - or indeed
while the power saving was operative.  Portables do have difficult with
the variable clock speeds of the processor as well.  I was only seeking a
second or two for accuracy.

David