[ntp:questions] Time sync over bad modem line

Nagy Bela belus at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Wed Oct 27 11:33:23 UTC 2004

Hello everyone!

I guess this question has been asked several times but I could not
find the answer. (Excuse me, if it is too simple, but I could not
figure out any solution.)
  The problem is the following: my computer rarely connects to the
internet via a dial-up connection. Sometimes this connection is
terrible, sometimes it is good (not bad). I would like NTP to
synchronize the system clock whenever it's connected.
  Practically, a solution would be the following: I specify some NTP
servers; actually, several servers, since it happens that I could not
access a remote server directly (though it is working -- this is the
fault of the connection). NTP should try to synchronize
with them, say, every fifth minute. And, of course, log when it
successfully connected and synchronized the local clock.
  How should I configure this? (regular ntpdate as a cron job would
not be bad, but as far as I understand 	ntpd would be better for this)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,
B.N.