[ntp:questions] NTP 4.1.72 on W2K

David davidfdzp at ya.com
Wed Oct 27 19:08:31 UTC 2004

Hi all, I am using Windows NT GUI installation
(http://www.five-ten-sg.com/util/ntp4172.zip) on a Windows 2K server SP4 to
synchronize some equipments on the LAN to UTC time.

The W2K server ntp.conf file contents are.

#---------------------------------------
server 128.118.25.3 iburst prefer
fudge 128.118.25.3 stratum 0 refid INET

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 3 refid LCL
#---------------------------------------

LAN equipments are synchronized with this W2K server, which is correctly
synchronized to UTC.

If I disconnect Internet access during 2 or 3 days I see that all LAN
equipments remain synchronized with the W2K server. But after restoring
Internet access again, I see that the W2K server was not synchronized with
UTC. It was several seconds (sometimes minutes) advanced to UTC. I would
like to keep machines synchronized to UTC although there is an Internet
access failure during 2 or 3 days.

Is it possible that the clock of a PC is so inaccurate? Even an old
mechanical clock performs better!

Has anybody noticed this behaviour before?

Any idea or suggestion to solve this matter is welcomed!

Best regards,
David