[ntp:questions] Re: NTP 4.1.72 on W2K

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Oct 27 19:30:08 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-27, David <davidfdzp at ya.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I am using Windows NT GUI installation
> (http://www.five-ten-sg.com/util/ntp4172.zip) on a Windows 2K server SP4 to
> synchronize some equipments on the LAN to UTC time.
>
> The W2K server ntp.conf file contents are.
>
> #---------------------------------------
> server 128.118.25.3 iburst prefer
> fudge 128.118.25.3 stratum 0 refid INET

You should not fudge this at all. And you ought to use more than one
remote time server. See http://ntp.isc.org/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers
for more information about how many servers to use and how to choose them.

> server 127.127.1.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 3 refid LCL
> #---------------------------------------

Your localclock should be fudged to 10, or more.

> If I disconnect Internet access during 2 or 3 days I see that all LAN
> equipments remain synchronized with the W2K server. But after restoring
> Internet access again, I see that the W2K server was not synchronized with
> UTC. It was several seconds (sometimes minutes) advanced to UTC. I would
> like to keep machines synchronized to UTC although there is an Internet
> access failure during 2 or 3 days.

The average PC clock is too inaccurate to be used as a real refclock.

You need to use a real refclock to provide your ntpd with a good source
of time.

> Is it possible that the clock of a PC is so inaccurate?

Yes.