[ntp:questions] Re: Time sync over bad modem line

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Wed Oct 27 20:13:42 UTC 2004

If you try the solution that works for me I recommend you use iburst on
your server/peer lines.

If you can GUARANTEE that you will not be connected often AND you have
permission from the servers you are querying, then this is a case where
"burst" may be helpful as well.

Something like "tinker huff-puff 7200" may also be useful to you, if your
phone line is sometimes heavily used in one direction.  You may need to
change the 7200 to some other value.

I recommend leaving ntpd up all the time - on the occasions where you do
get a connection ntpd will eventually be able to compensate for the
frequency of your motherboard.